I mentioned recently that I am going through the editing process for the first time. I’m polishing my manuscript (Love en Pointe) for submission, but I’m itching to get back to ‘writing’ with the kind of abandon that only works for a first daft.
I know editing is an important part of the process. It’s what helps to make a story shine, but I must admit that hours and hours of wordsmithing sometimes does my head in…Source
Hence, here are 5 things to do when you should be editing but aren’t…
- Housework – I know I’m procrastinating when the urge to do some washing hits me. I can’t possibly sit down to edit with a sink full of dirty dishes or an overflowing wash basket is looking me in the eye.
- Instagram (or Pintrest, We Heart It…any site filled with pretty pictures) – visual creatures unite on these website, and they provide for hours and hours of excellent procrastination time. I’ll just look at one more page of pretty nail[polish before I start editing…
- Online Shopping – ahhh ASOS, how many times I have been spending my money instead of editing. Same goes for Etsy, Book Depository and Amazon – retail therapy is a legitimate therapeutical activity…isn’t it?
- Looking at pictures of grumpy cat – aka getting stuck in the meme hole. Also in this category are trawling through hilarious pictures of LOL Cats, Overly Attached Girlfriend / socially awkward penguin / success kid / fail memes, pictures of daschunds, funny GIFs and anything on Tumblr.
- CSI – and general TV watching which I class as ‘character research’. I have a weakness for crime shows with acronyms so CSI, NCIS, Law & Order SVU, and occasionally (if I want to play a drinking game) CSI Miami for it’s inadvertent use of humour are at the top of my list.
Honourable mentions go to: reading (a totally worthwhile activity whether you’re editing or not), doing The Age quiz on my iPad, bossing my husband around while he plays Resident Evil (I always know the right way to get away from Zombies and he just wastes all our ammo), making my second/third/fourth cup of tea, and stalking people on Facebook.
In all seriousness (just for a second and then I’ll get back to being a clown) I’m spending a lot of time editing at the moment. It’s a tough activity but one I know will be so worthwhile to my manuscript. However, when you’ve read the same sentence five times and the words have lost all meaning, you just have to tear your eyes away and do something else.
What do you do when you’re procrastinating from your work? Anything you’d like to add to the above list?